Saturday, October 2, 2010

Exhibit A

This weekend at my university is precisely why I no longer drink alcohol.  It is homecoming.  While I do wish I could have watched the parade and football game, I don't want to have to deal with the drunken debauchery that is the typical college homecoming experience. 

This was not always the case.  I was once the "typical" college student, back before I was saved.  I drank alcohol, I went to parties, etc.  And while I do still like to enjoy the company of friends that do still drink, I no longer partake.  This means many things: I am guaranteed to feel better in the morning, I know I am always in control of myself and my actions, my judgment is not clouded by any sort of beverage (I do not do drugs, nor have I ever done anything "stronger" than alcohol), I don't act like....an idiot (there's really no way to put that delicately).  There are so many other great benefits to no longer drinking alcohol.

According to some things we discussed in a biology class, alcohol has some very bad consequences. 

Every cell in your body that comes in contact with a molecule of alcohol is damaged.
...Repeated exposure can permanently damage cells
......brain cells
......liver
......cancer
Everything inside the cell is damaged.

Alcohol turns to sugar very quickly.
...Diabetes is linked to alcohol abuse (alcoholics)

Alcohol Dehydrogenase
...alcohol "tolerance" it takes more alcohol to "feel it" because this enzyme breaks down the alcohol in your system.

Alcohol increases urine output.
...Anti-diuretic Hormone (ADH)
......when you are even slightly dehydrated, you urinate less-your body is trying to hang on to all it's water.
...Alcohol inhibits effects of ADH-so you become MORE dehydrated-hence the hangovers.

Hangover headaches are different than "ordinary" headache-because your brain is "sitting" in your skull and not floating in cerebral fluid.
...or it could be an allergy to a certain type of alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment