Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Prayer without ceasing

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.  I Thessalonians 5:16-18

Today let's focus on "pray without ceasing".  How can that be?  We breathe without ceasing, and our hearts beat without ceasing.  Our other organs work behind the scenes and we don't consciously tell them to work for us.  Can we learn to pray as naturally as we breathe?

In the morning as we wake up we can talk to our God, "OK Father...I'm awake; I'm feeling a little tired and grumpy this morning but I give this day to You and choose to praise You instead!  I praise You for Your beautiful creation, thanks for a comfortable bed and for the breakfast You have provided.  Guide my steps today and show me Your ways."  Then it is time to listen.  This on-going conversation can become a natural part of our day.

So what if I'm feeling weak in spirit and mind and can't even voice my feelings?

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.   Romans 8:26-27

Continue to pray, focusing on people in your immediate surroundings, your family and your brothers and sisters at Valleybrook needing prayer.

Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints. Ephesians 6:18

As we spend time praying, God has promised to show us exciting things!

Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known.  Jeremiah 33:3

It will be exciting to change, grow and practice "prayer without ceasing" as it starts to become as natural as breathing.

No comments:

Post a Comment